Friday, August 17, 2012

Asian Art Museum and More Hiking

First Sundays of every month are free admission days at the Asian Art Museum in SF. After becoming an expert sightseer in Boston, I have become inspired to become a tourist in my own hometown/neighborhoods. On the plane ride back from Boston, I overheard a cute family of four embarking on a California vacation. For some reason, it never occurred to me that people come here specifically to vacation. I realized San Francisco has so much to offer, and that I should really fully explore the area I call home.

First stop: the Warfield box office to buy tickets to Joshua Radin & A Fine Frenzy. I don’t know the dude so much, but I love A Fine Frenzy. Her music is so whimsical. 

If I had to choose, this would be my favorite song of theirs:


There was a lovely farmers market at Civic Center, right outside the museum. 


Look at the awesome sample haul! My friends snickered when I hid my previous Larabar samples from the front end of the market to get more at the end. I have no shame. 


I hit the motherload, guys. 

I tried the Peanut Butter Cookie flavor right away. I’ve probably already proclaimed this, but I love peanut butter. Like, eat-it-from-the-jar-with-a-spoon kind of love. 


The bar was pleasantly peanut-y, but like all Larabars, was pretty fruity in flavor. I like the sample sizes, though. They would be the perfect size to nibble on when minor munchies hit. Too bad they don’t actually sell the squares. 

My rating: 3/5. 

The Museum featured lots of pottery. My favorite pieces were wood and ivory carvings. Of course, I don’t like the fact that they used ivory, but the skill involved in intricately carving a detailed a forest scene or such is undeniable. 

Outside of Asian Art Museum

I really liked this display design

Stone carving in the India section

At 12:00pm, my tummy was already grumbling. One of my friends recalled a pho place in nearby Little Saigon that he remembered being good.

Him: “Turtle Beach? Turtle Tower?” 

I told him the latter sounded more likely. Being the yelp snob that I am, I suggested he look the place up and wowee, it had a solid four stars averaged from almost 1500 reviews. 

Lunch, here we come!

I got the #1, with beef and brisket. 

Yummers

Restaurant broth is always a bit on the salty side, but it was a decent balanced to slurp between bites of soft rice noodles. Hot, steamy noodle soup really hit the spot on a rather overcast and gloomy day. Thanks, Turtle Tower! 

We came back to Berkeley at around 1:30pm. I always think it’s amusing when non-morning people marvel at how much of the day is still ahead of them when I make them get up “early” to hang out with me. 

If you thought I’d be sick of hiking after the last post, you thought wrong! Rule: invite me on an outdoors adventure and I will accept. 

I drove my friend Phoebe and I up to Tilden. Of course, we stopped by the Little Farm to say hi to the animals.
Chubby and sleepy pig

Turtles sunbathing on every rock in Jewel Lake

3 hours, 8.5 miles, with nonstop girly chatter all the way. My kind of afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment