Saturday, June 16, 2012

Sightseeing Summary

I'm a bit behind in documenting each touristy thing I do here, so I'll give a very quick run through of the spots I've visited so far. 

I've already frequented Newbury St. several times. It is a high-end neighborhood with posh restaurants and small designer boutiques tucked away into apartment unit-like spaces. The area feels very rich and comfortable to walk through, but I can't afford any of the nicer things here. From my observations, a lot of classy, younger working-age people gather here for dinner and drinks in the evening.


Earlier this week we walked to the Museum of Fine Arts. The college students are so lucky to have free admission to such a grand and diverse collection of masterpieces. 



The MFA is really huge, causing us to get lost near the end when we just wanted out; it's bad to get stuck in the mummy exhibit of a giant museum at night. I think that part of the reason I did not like museums in general so much in the past is that I felt pressured to see every single exhibit or work of art in them. I've decided that I will no longer pressure myself to do so, which makes the experience a whole lot more enjoyable. My favorite areas in the MFA were the contemporary and ancient art wings.  

The next day, I walked to the nearby Harvard Medical School and School of Public Health. They are remote from the main campus, closer to BU than Harvard itself. 

The medical school looks like a government building and is ridiculously imposing with gargantuan stone pillars. Appeared more like a fortress than a school to me.


Harvard SPH is a very average-looking building. I wanted to walk around inside and see if I would randomly run into Paul Farmer (practically a saint in the public health community for those who don't know). However, the ever-exclusive Harvard culture mandated Harvard identification for anyone who wanted to go in, so I as a prospective student sadly turned away. 


We walked behind the cluster of health-oriented buildings and stopped by JP Lick's for some ice cream (Hmph! Who needs Harvard, anyway?) It was sunny and the perfect day for a scoop of cool, creamy lactose-free vanilla ice cream.   

After dinner that night, a group of us walked to Cambridge to catch a show at ImprovBoston, which I saw had good reviews. I was excited because I had never been to a comedy club before. The first act was just alright, but the second and third groups definitely made me laugh out loud! Now I'm curious as to whether there are any good venues back in the Bay.  

No comments:

Post a Comment