Thursday, June 28, 2012

Energy Bar Review and the Buffet Dilemma

I believe I've been most excited for this next brand of energy bar. Larabars seem to be highly regarded in the blogosphere, so I had high expectations for my Larabar: Cherry Pie bar that I pulled out for a midmorning snack. 



I am sorry to say that it was pretty much exactly like the last bar I reviewed, just a bit thicker. Strange that I got two in a row like that. After discovering that it closely resembled an ultra thick fruit leather with nuts, I took a closer look at the ingredients and was pleasantly surprised to see just three--count them, three: dates, almonds, and unsweetened cherries. That's certainly impressive and deserves bonus points, though there's the fact that if I wanted to eat fruit I would simply eat fruit. In conclusion, I honestly don't know what all the hype about Larabar is about. Perhaps I'll explore with different flavors and varieties of Larabar, but  I personally like energy bars with more sustenance/some sort of grains and more of a crunch factor. 

My rating: 1/5.

Yesterday our group walked to Cambridge to Fire and Ice, and "improvisational grill" where diners fill a bowl with all sorts of raw ingredients and the staff cook the food in front of you on a huge circular flat grill. Follow the link to read my review, but in summary I confirmed that me and buffets just don't get along. Even if I'm not paying, I feel the need to stuff myself in order to fulfill the "all-you-can-eat" aspect of the experience, and if I don't stuff myself, I feel guilty that I haven't taken advantage of the unlimited food. Needless to say, I felt pretty gross after dinner. The hour-long walk back to the dorm helped a bit, but I've been continuing to detox from the binge by eating smaller meals today and hopefully for the next few days.   

Does anyone else experience the "buffet pressure" dilemma? If so, how do you detox? 

No comments:

Post a Comment