Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cheers and Duck Tour

Yesterday, our program coordinator, a self-proclaimed "glorified camp counselor" took us to the most touristy spots in Boston. 

Our cafeteria opens only at 10:30am on weekends for brunch, and since I'm a morning person I absolutely have to eat breakfast--doing brunch at a mid-meal time kind of throws me off for the rest of the day. I got up at 7:30am on Sat and munched on a Clif: Oatmeal Raisin Walnut bar, banana, and a mixture of Kashi 7 Grain and TJ's Multigrain crackers to tide me over until lunch (brunch for others.)



I reserve Clif bars to form more substantial parts of meals rather than quick fuel because they are relatively large and hearty. They work as a breakfast entree in addition to fruit and side snacks. This Clif bar tastes like a full-blown oatmeal raisin cookie! One of the most striking flavors was cinnamon, and sure enough, the ingredients included that spice along with molasses and other cookie essentials. I have to disclose that I actually kind of have an obsession with raisins. They are like pockets of sweet pleasure to me and I can easily overdose, so I have to restrain from buying them in bulk. These Clif bars allow me to enjoy my favorite treat in what tastes like a dessert.    

My rating: 5/5.

After breakfast/blogging, I went with my roommate on a ~3 mile run along the Charles River. It was sunny and not too windy even next to the water. Boston is an uber fit city--there are constantly runners and bikers outside rain or shine, which motivates me to exercise. Unfortunately, the warm weather would not last the whole day...

After a quick shower back at the dorm, I joined fellow program participants outside and walked to Cheers for lunch at 11:30am.


I don't know anything about the sitcom, so the hotspot really did not hold much significance for me. I also did not feel like a burger after having one late the night before, but that's pretty much all we had to choose from so I picked at my lunch for a light meal.

Our much-anticipated Duck tour was scheduled to start at 1:30pm, so we had an hour to kill after lunch. We walked to Newbury St. to check out the grand opening of Georgetown Cupcake. To honor the occasion, the bakery was offering free cupcakes all day, nationwide! The TV show DC Cupcakes was filming there. There was a crazy long line outside--Bostonians appear to be cupcake fanatics. The line was pretty much a block long and bound to be more than a two hour wait, a no-no for our group. Luckily, one of the girls in our program works at Georgetown Cupcakes and has said that she could bring us goodies after her shift today. I honestly cannot contain my excitement. 


We walked back to the Cheers area to await. It was such a cold and windy day! Any sun from earlier in the day had disappeared, and I was freezing in shorts, which mad me unhappy and prompted me roommate and I to run to a nearby Starbucks to get hot chocolate (soymilk for me.) Shortly after we rejoined the group our Duck-mobile arrived.


The Duck is a peculiar machine that is a truck and boat all in one. They are painted bright colors, each have a name, and are commonly seen in downtown Boston. As you can see, ours was named "Penelope Pru." Our guide explained that the GM manufacturing code is actually DUKW, which is how the vehicle got it's apt nickname due to its amphibious ability.  

Life jackets on top hopefully unnecessary.

After driving by the State House and other official buildings and landmarks, we hit the water! Needless to say, it's a bizarre feeling to simply drive into a river. 


Our tour guide let passengers drive the Duck out on the water. We went up and down the Charles before getting dropped off at the Pru (Prudential Building.)

We sped-walked home and I immediately put on layers and curled up in bed, which subsequently led to a 30-min nap. All the warnings about Boston being hot and muggy have so far proved untrue. I wish I had brought more clothes. It's supposed to warm up in the middle of the week, though, so I'm crossing my fingers for real summer weather. 

Also, I have somehow bruised my right foot which makes it hurt every time I put my foot down. I will not let it hinder me but will simply hope it gets better with time. 

That's all for now, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment