Monday, June 11, 2012

Beantown: First Impressions

I just established internet in my dorm room for the summer, so let me update you on my travels thus far. 

I didn't snap many photos of the first leg of my trip from SFO to Logan Airport in Boston because I was running from security to make it to my gate in time for boarding! Security is such a headache. I suppose I appreciate that TSA is so thorough, but seriously--clearly, I am not a terrorist. For the first time, I had to go through the new machine that apparently can see through all your clothes plus the extra pat-down. I thought it was weird that I was chosen since I was wearing basically skin-tight athletic leggings and a thin long-sleeve shirt. Plus I don't think I look sketch or anything. 

So after enduring the much prolonged security process I raced to my gate. Admittedly, I didn't have to be so stressed out, as other people who went through security with me took their time to get food, etc. and still made it on the plane, but I like to be prompt when it comes to traveling, so I had to get there on time for self-assurance reasons. I jogged up to the counter right when the staff called my seat row to board. 

During the flight, I taste-tested one of my snacks:

Luna: Blueberry Bliss

This bar is all dressed up with a layer of blueberry jam and an icing swizzle on top, with the trademark Luna icing coating on the bottom. Altogether, it is very sweet and a little on the other extreme from the protein bar consistency due to its dominantly crunchy texture. The crisps were hard but also sticky, so kind of got stuck in my teeth. But overall, it is a bar that is relatively light and airy.  

My rating: 3/5 stars. 

I killed the five hours by snoozing/eating/reading/watching Food Network--one perk to flying for those without cable at home--to arrive in Boston on a sunny afternoon. The wheel on my suitcase was being finicky back in SF, but was completely busted after the plane trip, so I painstakingly dragged my 50 lb. suitcase on the rough East Coast cobblestone sidewalks along with me to do various administrative check-in tasks.  

Disaster

I was starved and sweating by the time I dropped my stuff off at my dorm room and made a beeline for the cafeteria. From the BU website, I was expecting very good food...Sadly, Warren Towers serves simply average cafeteria food that surprisingly makes Crossroads food, which has more variety and more hot food selections, seem palatable. I never thought I would say that. 

For the first night together, the students in my program decided to assemble and take a scenic walk. We walked across the Charles River in the setting sun,


saw MIT,


and more importantly Flour Bakery! This one is on my to-do a.k.a to-eat list while I'm here for sure. 


I had worked up an appetite by the time we came back but, too tired to do anything about it, went to sleep with a growly stomach and dreaming of breakfast foods for the next day. 

For today (Monday), we completed orientation tasks and then the faculty let us loose in at Government Center Station for more self-guided sightseeing. 


A statue of Samuel Adams outside Faneuil Hall. If I remember correctly, this was a starting point for a roadblock in some Amazing Race season! It's definitely a sign.



These reminded me of home. 


I know cemeteries are somber places, but I thought that the gravestones were really beautiful actually, with the engravings of skulls and floral elements. We walked the three-ish miles back to our dorm and tinkered on our laptops for a short while until we absolutely could not wait any longer for dinner. I'm satiated while typing this, but with all the walking we are doing I definitely need to prepare for more than three meals a day. I'm planning to hit up the local TJ's do stock up on some snacks, a preventative measure for late-night munch attacks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment