Tuesday, July 17, 2012

SoWa

One of the local girls in our program proposed exploring SoWa, an open-air street market open Sundays with food trucks and other locally made, eclectic items. Street fairs are totally my thing--I love browsing stalls of homemade trinkets and unique goods even though I rarely purchase anything.

First, backtracking to breakfast: since the dining hall isn't open until 10:30am on weekends and waiting that long to eat is simply not an option for me, I've crafted breakfasts from a medley of hearty snacks. On Sunday morning I had a banana, crackers, and a Clif: Blueberry Bliss bar. 



The Blueberry Bliss flavor has sizable almond chunks, which adds a nice crunch amidst the typical crispy/chewy Clif texture. I'm not sure if they use dried or fresh blueberries, but the fruit flavor infuses the entire bar.

My rating: 5/5.

SoWa was a couple miles away, so we walked at a leisurely pace to the destination.

Easy-ups and people galore

Lots of vintage and antique items

Walking to and from SoWa was really draining in hot weather, especially because I was wearing my arch-less sandals. I wore them the first few days sightseeing here, and then developed a painful foot-ache in my right foot so reverted to my Reef flip flops for some time, and eventually the injury healed by itself. Never again will I revert--the sacrifice for fashion is not worth the horrible pain of long distance walking in flats. How do other women do it?  

Now to not-so-gracefully segue into a different topic: going home! I must admit that as much fun that I've had hanging out with the program kids and exploring a new environment, I'm looking forward to returning home, which will forever and always be the Bay Area. My one worry has been dragging my 50 lbs of luggage back to the airport with a broken suitcase wheel, but today I got out of lab early and decided on somewhat of a whim to check out Marshalls for possible discount travel equipment. 


Score! A bigger, lighter suitcase (left) with functional wheels. I feel much less anxious now about the trip home. Five more days, beloved Cali!   

No comments:

Post a Comment