Friday, September 28, 2012

Ode to Pancakes

Oh, pancakes...the soft, fluffy rounds that make me dream of eating breakfast while falling asleep the night before. Okay, so this isn't really going to be a poem about the concoctions, but I do revere them as possibly the most ingenious meal idea ever. 

I've been on a pancake roll as of late. It all started when I felt adventurous at the grocery store and snagged a carton of coconut milk to drink, and then discovered that I don't much like to drink the stuff, as if it were soy or almond milk. Plus I looked at the nutritional facts after getting home--what is with the saturated fat content? I did some research online and apparently it's not the "bad kind" of saturated fat (but I thought saturated fat in and of itself was the "bad" type of fat?). If you couldn't tell already, I am certainly no nutritionist, but seeing that a cup of the stuff gives 20% DV of makes me uneasy. 

But I digress. The blessing in disguise was that an overload of coconut milk prompted me to make batches and batches of pancakes on end. You can simply make enough servings for a week, refrigerate them, and pull two out each morning to pop in the microwave for instant gratification. Imagine (the aforementioned process) x (three weeks). Which equals a happy Amy.   

Brace yourself for the best photo montage ever. 


Left: my complicated and professional pancake-making setup. Nevertheless, somehow cooking pancakes is an inevitably messy process for me i.e. batter gets all over the counter, stove, and nearby walls. Middle: pancake on da griddle! Right: end product. 


Left: Tray ready for refrigeration. I thought I would mimic the chef at Jodie's and stab the pancakes while they cooked for a reason unknown. Except Asian-style, as clearly I used chopsticks instead of a knife. Top- and bottom-right: yummy brekkies. 

Of course, I can't devote an entire post to pancakes without giving up the recipes: so far, I've made Flax Pancakes, Coconut Pancakes, and Whole Grain Pancakes. I may have tweaked the recipes the slightest bit while cooking just because I have to be a rebel, but definitely not enough to warrant my own "Recipes" tab. Yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment