Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Eatreal Fest

Eatreal Fest is an annual event at Jack London Square in Oakland. Every year, they have probably over fifty food trucks, and hundreds of food vendors or specialty food makers come share their goods. It's the type of event where they serve beers in mason jars, and give out free samples of kombucha. The bottom line is, no self-respecting foodie would miss out.

At least, Emily and I wouldn't. And upon entering the festival, this was one of the first sights we encountered.


This Cajun/Creole place had the most outrageous woks (sorry, what is the non-Asian version?) every. That pink mass in there is meat. All meat. I believe the one is the back has a rice mixture. This theme reappeared throughout the fair--vegetarian/vegans for ethical reasons, consider yourself warned.


I thought the way the knife was left stabbed in the chunk of meat remaining was kind of comical.


This food fair is certainly not for the faint of heart. I support the "whole beast" mentality, though. If one is an omnivore, one should understand that meat does not come naturally cleaned and plastic-wrapped in styrofoam trays.


 

It was a hot day (hello sunburn)! Emily got a fancy fizzy drink to cool down.

Grow your own mushrooms kit












Sauerkraut! I've been craving this stuff every since sampling it that day.




Making bread
  
A big bread oven!

Out of all the delicious treats that were enticing me that day, I streamlined for Curry Up Now's chicken tikka masala burrito.


The Eatreal policy is that everything be under $5, so I think the burrito was downsized from their usual entree portion. But it actually turned out to be the perfect size! Enough to satiate me for dinner without feeling overstuffed, which often happens with one of my favorite foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment